Friday, January 20, 2012

Everything is Going to Be Alright

Taken at the Ace Hotel in NYC

 So, clearly I scheduled some posts for this week because
a) I never manage to post that regularly, especially at the same time every day, and 
b) at 8am I was not at my computer...I had already gotten up, driven an hour and a half to Plattsburgh, NY (complete with ferry ride) and was probably scrubbed into a c-section delivery. 
This one is live though,
and much more believable that I'm at my computer at 8pm on a Friday night!

But I think I might start doing that more often 
at least during these busy rotations.
It kind of feels like cheating,
but as I was going through websites I had tagged or photos I had saved last weekend,
I realized there were so many beautiful things I wanted to share!

So, 
in honor of a slightly below average week,
I will try to rummage up some highlights
or at least some observations:

1) If you still have braces, you shouldn't be having a baby.
I thought that was obvious, apparently Plattsburgh, NY did not.

2) As with the surgery rotation, I get to enjoy sunrises again.
On one morning ferry ride, 
I glanced in my rear view mirror at Lake Champlain 
that rolled out behind me with the texture of gently stuccoed wall
and an orange reflection from the sun hanging over the Green Mountains,
all as Florence + the Machine sang "It's hard to dance with the devil on your back, so shake it off".
And I had one of those zen moments,
where the previous few days vanished
and I didn't think about what I had to do the rest of the day
and my heart swelled with the perfection of the moment.
This week I learned that ancient Greece had 2 words for time:
Chronos (which is normal chronological time)
and Kairos 
"...signifies a time in between, a moment of indeterminate time in which something special happens".
It was definitely a Kairos moment.

3) I got to really appreciate being back in Vermont 
by being able to go to dinner with my friends on a Thursday night 
a place that makes savory crepes with locally sourced food.
Mine had brie, ham, and apples.
I know you're jealous.  If you come visit me, I'll take you there.
I Lovermont.

4) Funny story from one of the c-sections:
After you deliver the baby and cut the cord, you deliver the placenta,
and people often collect blood from the umbilical cord attached to the placenta to analyze it.
You do this by just sort of milking the blood down the cord,
but as the attending was doing this,
the end still attached to the placenta ripped off
and sprayed blood all across the nurse, the scrub tech, and me.
It looked like a slasher movie in there!
Luckily you're mostly covered, but I had blood on my face and neck
and you're not allowed to touch your face if you're scrubbed in!
So I just had to wait until someone who wasn't scrubbed in could wipe it off.
Charming.

5) I become more and more convinced every day that I want to go into psychiatry.


1 comment:

  1. I just want you to know that the pastor preached about chronos and kairos on Sunday and I was like, hmmm, I've read that somewhere recently... :)

    ReplyDelete