Monday, December 6, 2010

Taking it Easy


Sorry I haven't been posting,
but I decided December is going to be
'take it easy on myself' month.

It's snowing here.
Flakes are shuffling around, spinning through the air,
and dusting off the steep shingles of my neighbors house.
And I slept in,
so that I can sit here with my oatmeal, look out the window, and enjoy this sight,
instead of rushing off to class sleepy and grumpy at 7am.

Yesterday I was supposed to have a study group with friends,
but instead
we made a crazy dinner of eggs, rice, biscuits, and roasted vegetables,
put on pajama pants, cuddled up on the couch, buried ourselves under blankets
and watched
White Christmas.

Don't worry, Mom,
I'm still studying and getting my work done.

I'm just not pushing myself so much.
I am, like most of you I'm sure,
over-committed
and
my harshest critic.
It's the American way.

Dropping one ball that you're juggling
doesn't just mean you've dropped one ball,
it means you've ruined the entire act
and probably the entire show.
Or so we think.

Something I've realized though, usually no one even notices you dropped a ball.

So I've been asking myself why I'm juggling so many balls in the first place, and
changing my criteria for what falls in the 'needs to get done' category.
(Hint: it's a lot smaller category than you think.)

I've also decided
instead of adding frenzy to the Holiday season
with finding the perfect gifts for all my friends and family,
and doing all the things I think I'm supposed to do (decorate, make cookies, get a tree, etc.)
maybe I'll just
relax and
make eggs and rice
and watch White Christmas with them,
because
that's what it's all about right?
Relationships. Connection. Community. Pajama pants.

And maybe I'll extend this month into a New Year's Resolution,
because we should all take it easier on ourselves
and really it feels pretty damn good to spend my time doing the things I value.
Like eating oatmeal and watching snow fall.

-------------------------------------------
"Take it easy, take it easy
Don't let the sound of your own wheels
Drive you crazy
Lighten up while you still can
Don't even try to understand
Just find a place to make your stand
and take it easy" -The Eagles

No comments:

Post a Comment