Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Huck Finn Dreams

I went for a walk along the river the other day and stumbled upon this...


I immediately thought of this...

And how jealous I was of whoever owned this floating house contraption...
How great would it be to live on raft for a while?
So much simplicity, freedom, adventure, and raw interaction with your environment.


And I was reminded that when I was 10 I wanted to live on a raft with him...
who's with me?


"We said there warn't no home like a raft, after all. Other places do seem so cramped up and smothery, but a raft don't. You feel mighty free and easy and comfortable on a raft."
Amen, Huck and Jim, amen.




Then I started looking up real live houseboats, because I have a test on Friday, and that is the best way to prepare for a pulmonology test.

Here are a few, in order of swank.
Amazon style. Exotica!

This is a bike boat! Check this guy out here. He's Swiss and is biking his boat down the Amazon. Sounds fabulous.
Ooo! Maybe I can be a bike boat DOCTOR one day...
If that's not good motivation to study tuberculosis, I don't know what is.

Herb laden den in the Amsterdam canals.

Green-roofed water haven.

Really stepping up the swank here!

Such beauteous design.

I guess fall in Vermont is neither the time nor place to live on a raft, but that's definitely one I'm going to have to add to the Life List.

-------------------------

"I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she’s going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can’t stand it. I been there before."
-Huck Finn

1 comment:

  1. You get me.

    I have a dream of building a barge out of garbage and floating the Miss. Mostly so that I can roll up my pants without any social consequences.

    ReplyDelete